01 January 2009

Ladies/Medium - Traditional - 4 Dolls - 13cms tall - Russian Label on bottom.



Here is my new Babushka-Matrouska-Nesting Doll Blog... I'm going to put one of my Babushka's on it each day this year. I don't know how many I have exactly but if I don't have 365 I will have to rush out and buy more before the end of the year won't I?

I'm not 100% sure what these dolls should be called... I call them Babushka's but I've heard them called Matrouska's and even Nesting Dolls... I have a book about them and I'll have a good read and let you know later on.

Here is the first set I bought in June 1970 (gosh it's 38 years old) David and I had just spent our second Wedding Anniversary at the Moscow Circus in Leningrad, the next day we caught the train to Moscow and I bought these ladies in the magnificent GUM store... (see picture on blog header). I gave them to my first born to play with when she was only a babe and she was good with them but one day an older child came to play and when she couldn't open them up she threw them to the ground... that opened them OK but it also broke one and cracked another... that was the last time I allowed children to play with them unattended.

Like most collections of mine I didn't know I was collecting Babushka's till I'd bought a couple for the children as presents and one day put them on a shelf together and what do you know... I had a collection!! By then of course the bug had bitten and whenever I saw them I had to buy!

Then in 2008 Babushka's came into fashion and you will find them on bedding, clothing, patchwork fabric and so on!!

I have enough Ladies so now days I only buy quirky Babushkas as you will see over the year.

Enjoy, cheers Pennie

1 comment:

Lindi said...

They look like my first set, although mine aren't as old as yours. Mine were imported from Russia in 1978.