Comedy of Errors. William ShakespeareAct 3, Scene 2.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: What's her name?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: Nell, sir; but her name and three quarters, that's an ell and three quarters, will not measure her from hip to hip.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Then she bears some breadth?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: No longer from head to foot than from hip to hip:
she is spherical, like a globe; I could find out countries in her.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: In what part of her body stands Ireland?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE; Marry, in her buttocks: I found it out by the bogs.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where Scotland?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: I found it by the barrenness; hard in the palm of the hand.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where France?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: In her forehead; armed and reverted, making war against her heir.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where England?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: I looked for the chalky cliffs, but I could find no whiteness in them; but I guess it stood in her chin, by the salt rheum that ran between France and it.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where Spain?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: Faith, I saw it not; but I felt it hot in her breath.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where America, the Indies?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: Oh, sir, upon her nose all o'er embellished with rubies, carbuncles, sapphires,
declining their rich aspect to the hot breath of Spain; who sent whole armadoes of caracks to be ballast at her nose.
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE: Where stood Belgia, the Netherlands?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE: Oh, sir, I did not look so low. To conclude, this drudge, or diviner, laid claim to me, call'd me Dromio; swore I was assured to her; told me what privy marks I had about me, as, the mark of my shoulder, the mole in my neck, the great wart on my left arm, that I amazed ran from her as a witch: And, I think, if my breast had not been made of faith and my heart of steel, She had transform'd me to a curtal dog and made me turn i' the wheel.

1 comment:
Most beautious piece,
thou hast sent us quite insane, thy secrets to reveal.
Thy maker hath a wonderous image unfolded for our tired eyes!
Go ye now,
and grace her wall,
and ever give her much delight,
of which she is most deserved.
Post a Comment