08 January 2009

Gentlemen - Cossacks with Daggers - 12cm tall - 3 dolls - Made in China sticker.


This is one of the first Babushka's I bought to put in one of the boys Christmas Stockings before I realized it was really mine and belonged in my collection :-) The smallest one opens and I'm not quite sure if there was a smaller one lost or not.

A quote from Wiki... I told you I was learning a lot from my Babushkas!

Although many theories exist on the formation of Cossacks, towards the end of the 14th century two Cossack hosts emerged: one on the lower Dnieper River and the other on the Don River. These were joined by numerous Ruthenian migrants who left the adjacent northern states of Moscow and Lithuania. By the start of the 16th century they swelled into large militant states known as hosts.

2 comments:

Lindi said...

My Grandmother took me to a few Cossack performances when I was a kid. Fell in love with them and their passionate, energetic dancing. Even learnt to do that crouching Cossack dance the men do when I was in my teens! Couldn't even attempt it now. :[

Daily said...

These ones are great. in fact they're all great, but these are my favourite so far.

Andrew

PS. I also found your blog through Di.